Post concussion is a head injury – often minor, that can cause swelling of the brain and neurological problems. I know alot about this due to a car crash involving repeated blows to the head as the car rolled, brain swelling followed and my ability to function ground to a halt.
The good news is that after several years and many different treatments I am greatly improved and symptoms much reduced.
Common symptoms of PCS
- Headache (check for Post concussion migraine a very under diagnosed condition)
- Dizziness (check for inner ear damage)
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss
- Exhaustion (can be diagnosed as ME)
- Poor sleep patterns
- Inability to read a book or learn new skills
- Feeling ‘spaced out’
What can help?
This is what has helped me over the years and I have listed some freely available stuff as well
- Meditate to improve the concentration. Try out YTube and look for guided meditation and ‘brainwave’ type meditations which are passive to listen to and demand less from a tender brain. YouTube video below.
- Relax, relax, relax. The brain is irritated and the nerves in the body tend to go the same way. An increase in stress hormones from the condition make it difficult for your body to heal and can increase the risk of depression. So go for warm baths, soothing music and anything that chills you out……
- Exercise. Yes I know exhaustion etc. So by exercise I mean do what you can as this is a very big ‘Use it or Lose it’ area. Look for some exercises to be done in a chair keeping the head upright if you are very unable. Look for simple Chi Gung exercises on Ytube such as the one below. YouTube video below.
- Treat for shock. I take Bach Rescue Remedy which is a flower essence remedy treating injury and shock. This is easily available or an equivalent in eg Australia. Look for rescue remedy on Google. Ok for long term use and not expensive.
- Take homeopathic Arnica, again a remedy for shock and injury. Ok for long term use and not expensive.
- Have complementary therapies to improve general health. Will also treat any remaining injury and help healing.
Passive meditation / hypnosis Dick Sutphen (zapper)
8 Strands of Silk Brocade Qi Gong
Paul McKenna improving learning hypnosis video.
Inner smile meditation. (Really easy on the brain !)