Chronic pain turns the body into a hostile and uncomfortable space that you have little choice to reside in! So what can you do to make your life more comfortable?
1. BREATHE! Chronic pain results in shallow breath, this then reduces waste elimination (through the lungs), reduces oxygen available to the cells to grow and repair. The book and audio below is a great place to find out more, when you buy the book there are details of where to get the (free) audio that goes with it. Shallow breath also signals to the body that there is danger and puts your stress hormones up!
The Healing Power of the Breath: Simple Techniques to Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Enhance Concentration, and Balance…
17 Sep 2012
2. RELAX. Want your body to stop feeling like a war zone? Learn to relax the muscles, there are so many ways available here are my favorites.
Paul Mckenna does some great hypno audio and is easily available. Go for a relaxation cd or mp3 download, some come with books . He has a great hypnotic voice.
Healing power of breath exercises above. Try the ‘insight timer’ app to give a bell every 6 seconds and breathe in and out to it for a few minutes a day. I really miss this when do not practice.
3. Be nice to your body. It feels like a war zone but needs to feel nurtured and loved in order to function well.
Inner smile (Taoist practice). Be loving and kind to your body by imagining you are meeting a friend and smiling. It is that easy and wonderful to soften and relax the body. Look on YTube for plenty of free guidance on this ancient Taoist practice.
Smile at yourself in the mirror. Yes really!! 20 times a day, if you want science this will produce happy hormones in your body, lift your mood and make you a much nicer person to be around. After years of teaching this it is always obvious to me when a client has practiced this exercise or not. This one will make you shine!
4. EXERCISE. Does not matter how much, even if all you can do is walk to the loo and back. Use it or lose it is the phrase to keep in mind here. If you do not move your body then the muscles will waste, you will stiffen up and guess what? A stiff body with atrophied muscles will hurt more.
Tai Chi, can be adapted to be done in a chair and the chi gung styles can be done with very little movement. Tai chi will relax, tone, bring flexibility, reduce stress, improve immune system and help prevent falls.
Walking. If you can then a stroll a day is a great way to keep in shape. If you cannot get up as often as you can and move about, for example use buttons on the tv not the remote to make yourself move about more.
5. Stroke yourself like a cat. So imagine a cat with its hair standing on end and stressed. This is your body. Gently stroke your body like petting a cat for 5 minutes night and morning, just up and down the arms will do. Touch soothes the nerves, quietens the mind and produces the happy hormones in your system to make life more bearable.
Get some me time with a therapist. Reflexology, healing and massage can all provide the essential nurturing touch that your body desperately needs. If you would like to discuss your condition please give me a call or use the contact form.